2020 RMACSM Student Research Grants
To support student research, RMACSM awards two $1000 graduate research grants and one $1000 undergraduate research grant. Applicants must be enrolled as a student and both the student and his/her mentor must be current members of RMACSM to apply.
In an effort to support student research relevant to the mission of ACSM, the RMACSM Board plans to award grants to support student research projects. However, the number and amounts of grants are contingent on available funds from ACSM.
To apply, you must be enrolled as a student and both you and your mentor must be current members of RMACSM to apply. Grant recipients are required to present their findings at the 2020 RMACSM annual meeting. Please follow the guidelines below and submit your proposal by the due date. Grant recipients will be announced at the 2020 annual RMACSM meeting on April 10-11th.
Proposal Guidelines For Both Graduate and Undergraduate Research Grants:
- Title Page and Abstract: Include the title of the study, date, and name, address and phone number of the principal and co-investigators. Your mentor should be named as a co-investigator and is required to be a member of RMACSM. The abstract should include a clear purpose, proposed methods, expected results and relevance (250 word maximum).
- Background and Significance: Provide a brief literature review demonstrating justification for the research. The introduction should familiarize readers with the general problem being studied and its significance relevant to the mission of ACSM. This section should be written so that it can be easily understood by scientists outside the investigator’s area of expertise.
- Specific Aims/Hypotheses/Innovation: Clearly define the purpose of the study, the specific aims and the working hypotheses. State why the research is innovative.
- Participant Selection (if applicable): Specify sample size and any inclusion or exclusion criteria for participation, such as age, sex, medical history or diagnosis. A brief justification of the sample size should be provided. In addition, please indicate if the project has been approved by your institutional IRB/IACUC panel or if approval is pending.
- Research Design: Include type of research design (i.e., true experimental, quasi-experimental, non-experimental), and identify if the proposed project is part of a larger, ongoing project Identify independent and dependent variables, control groups, and number of repeated observations. Discuss any steps taken to control for internal or external validity.
- Intervention Procedures: Provide a clear, detailed description of the intervention process (if applicable). This section should include all steps the participants must undergo, along with any necessary treatment/safety evaluation procedures.
- Measures: Describe measurement procedures, instruments used, and data collection techniques. Clearly state whether instruments/equipment are currently available or will be borrowed/acquired for the project. Include citations for previously used instruments.
- Data Collection and Data Safety: Clearly define data collection procedures and discuss methods for participant recruitment with an explanation of efforts made to maintain the rights and privacy of human subjects.
- Data Analysis: Discuss methods used for data entry, statistical analysis, treatment of missing data, and data interpretation. Include reasoning for the type of analysis used.
- References: Include a complete list of references.
- Budget. Provide a proposed budget that is appropriate for the described research. The budget should include how the grant monies will be used, how the funds will contribute to continuation of a larger, ongoing project (if applicable), and what other sources of funds are available to support the project.
- Timeline: Provide an outline of the timeline for the proposed project.
- Appendices: Attach supporting information, tables, or figures that improve the understanding of the project.
- Resume/CV: Include an updated resume/CV at the end of your application
All submissions should be:
Maximum 5 pages of text (title page, abstract, references and appendices and CV not included)
- Times New Roman, no less than 11-12pt font
- 1 inch margins on all sides
Proposals must be submitted via email to:
by: DATE TO BE ANNOUNCED
In the subject line of your email, please write: "RMACSM grant submission"