The American College of Sports Medicine is pleased to announce the Charles M. Tipton Student Research Awards. Download the 2014 award application here.
The awards will be presented to the student with the most outstanding research project of the year.
Criteria for the awards include:
- The quality of the research project, which is evaluated via
a. the free communications abstract
b. the expanded abstract
2. The extent of the students participation in the project
Students eligible for the awards must meet the following requirements:
- At the time of application, the applicant must be presently enrolled/ accepted into a graduate or professional program in the areas of basic of clinical exercise science or sports medicine at an accredited university OR have graduated from such a program within one year prior to this award's application date. In the latter case, only work accomplished before graduation should be submitted.
- The applicant must be the first author of the abstract submitted and accepted as a free communication for presentation at the 2014 ACSM Annual Meeting. The abstract must be original research in exercise science and should include the following: 1) statement of the program, 2) methods and 3) results and conclusions. The work reported in the abstract must have been completed for academic credit toward completion of a graduate degree (e.g. M.S., Ph.D., M.D., etc.)
- The applicant will need to provide a letter of recommendation from the student's project director using the Letter of Recommendation from Project Director form within the application.
- The applicant must be a current member of the American College of Sports Medicine or one of its Regional Chapters at the time of application and at the time the award is presented.
- The Student Research Award can be awarded only once to an individual.
DEADLINE FOR COMPLETED APPLICATION PACKET IS: February 1, 2014
NOTE: Please submit your complete application no later than February 1 even if you have not yet received an official abstract acceptance letter. Abstract acceptance will be verified internally at ACSM.
The award winners will receive complimentary registration to the Annual Meeting, complimentary hotel accommodations for three nights (at the conference hotel rate), meals for 4 days (not to exceed $55/day), the lowest available advance round-trip airfare from your home city to Orlando, FL. Winner will be expected to attend the ACSM Annual Awards Banquet on May 30, 2014 to be recognized for receiving the award. Two complimentary tickets to the banquet will also be provided.
You may contact the Education Department regarding this award at Tel: (317) 637-9200, ext. 117 or email questions to email@example.com.