Abstract Submission Process
All students who are enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at the time of the 2020 Meeting are invited to submit an abstract for a virtual slide presentation at the 2020 Virtual Annual Meeting and will compete for cash awards.
For abstract submission, mailto:GNYACSMResearch@gmail.com
Abstracts Submission Deadline: Monday, November 2nd at 11:59pm.
ANY formatting, technical, or abstract related questions not addressed, in either this PDF or the online abstract submission form, should be emailed to: GNYACSMResearch@gmail.com
Rules for Submission (Check all items before submission):
- Prior to the conference, any abstract previously presented (other than their institution) or published by any print or online publication, will be deemed ineligible for submission.
- Only ONE submission is allowed per any author designated the lead, primary, or first listed author.While coauthors are permitted to submit multiple abstracts, the lead author must be the presenter and submit to questions from conference judges.
- All studies must comply with respective human (IRB) or animal (IACUC) guidelines, in accordance with the ACSM statement for Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise ®.Please see the Attached Addendum
Abstract Submission Format & Preparation:
Please read and follow the directions below for the submission of research abstracts.
Abstract submissions that do not follow the submission guidelines may be
rejected. Abstracts that do not meet scientific or editorial standards will not be accepted.
- The type of research conducted by the student must align with the mission of ACSM, which is to: “…advance and integrate scientific research to provide educational and practical applications of exercise science and sports medicine”. Examples of topics (aligned with National) are included below, for both applied and clinical.
- All wording should be in English utilizing; correct spelling, grammar, and proper contextual word usage. All acronyms are required to be first fully defined at least once within the body of the abstract prior to any other uses (the title is unnecessary).No brand names are permitted within the submitted abstract. All abstract submissions must follow formats demonstrated in the examples below.
- There is a strict 2000 character limit for the abstract’s main body (not including spaces / title/subheadings/author block).
- The title of the abstract is limited to 15 words.
- The body of the abstract MUST include the following “sections”: PURPOSE, METHODS, RESULTS, CONCLUSION (see the example abstracts below for clarification)
- Include the names, institutional affiliations, and emails of all authors.Names should include full first name, middle initial (optional), & full last name.DO NOT list degrees, certifications, or departments. LIST ALL ACSM Fellow(s), sponsorship, funding, grants, subsidies, or ANY conflict(s) of interest.
- Reference citations, photos, illustrations, graphs, tables, charts, etc. are NOT permitted within the abstract’s text, but should be available on Research Committee request or in the slide presentation.
- Notification of accepted abstract authors will be notified within 3 days. Accepted abstract must present in a Virtual PowerPoint Presentation.
Award Selection Criteria for Abstract Evaluation and Presentation
*These judging criteria are consistent with those used to judge the national-level competition*
- Significance: How well the project relates to the mission statement of ACSM, which is to “advance and integrate scientific research to provide educational and practical applications of exercise science and sports medicine.”
- Innovation: The novelty of the project, especially relating to the use of new methodologies, studying of under investigated populations and/or addressing emerging problems relating to exercise and sports medicine.
- Research Design: The ability of the methodologies used to address the research question and hypothesis. Additionally, the appropriate use of experimental design and statistics to test the hypothesis.
- Ability to Respond to Questions: Ability of the student to demonstrate knowledge of the literature related to their field of study as well as demonstrate critical thinking for future studies.
- Poster Design and Presentation Skills: Clarity of the poster and description of research project.
Each abstract presented will be judged and the first place winner will receive a $1200 award, and will represent the Greater New York Regional Chapter at the ACSM National President's Cup Competition.
Please feel free to forward to anyone who may have interest.