To support early-state investigators aiming to advance the science and practice of sports medicine and exercise, the Mid-Atlantic Regional Chapter of the American College of Sports Medicine (MARC-ACSM) is pleased to announce the Early-Stage Investigator Awards. The Early-Stage Investigator Awards recognize two (2) new investigators of the chapter and provide $1,500 in support of collecting preliminary data, which can be leveraged when applying for larger private and/or federally funded grant applications in the future. Please see here for more information. The deadline to apply is July 31, 2022.
MARC ACSM would like to recognize and congratulate our new fellows in the region
Peter Hosick, Ph.D. (Montclair State U)
Evan Matthews, Ph.D. (Montclair State U)
Brittany Overstreet, Ph.D. (U of Delaware)
Melissa Reed, Ph.D. (West Chester U)
Emily Sauers (East Stroudsburg U)
Adam Susmarski, D.O. (US Naval Academy)
Sharon Taverno Ross, Ph.D. (U of Pittsburgh)
1st Annual New York State ACSM Conference (April 29th, 2022)
2022 MARC Conference Proposal Deadline Approaching (March 18th, 2022):
MARC ACSM would like to recognize and congratulate a new fellow in the region:
Evan Matthews, Ph.D.
Montclair State University
The Mid-Atlantic Regional Chapter of the ACSM is seeking nominations to serve on its newly formed AD HOC Endowment Committee. For more information, click here.
ACSM is seeking next EIM Emerging Leaders.
To find out more, please click here for more information.
Video recordings of highlighted scientific sessions from 2021 MARC ACSM Annual Meeting are now available to view. Please visit the annual meeting page for the listing.
2021 MARC ACSM College Bowl Trophy Goes to DeSales University !
Congratulations to the winners of the 2021 MARC Awards!
Matthew Kerner Undergraduate Student Investigator Award - Jordyn Parks (Towson University)
Master's Student Investigator Award - Sara Mascone (University of Maryland - College Park)
Doctoral Student Investigator Award - Justin Mehrer (University of Delaware)
President's Cup - Andrew Heckel (Syracuse University)
Early Stage Investigator Award - Kate Jochimsen, PhD, ATC (West Virginia University) & S. Tony Wolf, PhD. (Pennsylvania State University)
Deadline Approaching (Jan 14th, 2022)! - Apply for ACSM Research and Travel Awards.
Please click here to find out more information
Check out 2021 ACSM President's Cup Winners!
Congratulations to our proud MARC students from Saint Francis University - the recipients of 2nd place at National ACSM College Bowl 2021!
Request for ACSM Fellowship Mentors:
ACSM SHI-Women is seeking mentors within the regional chapter in order to assist the SHI Women in building its mentoring program. Click Women to Fellowship Program Pathway infographic PP5
for more information.
ACSM Announces 2021 Paper of the Year Selections
The American College of Sports Medicine ACSM) announced the 2021 Paper of the Year for each of ACSM’s five highly acclaimed journals during its annual meeting symposium “American College of Sports Medicine Journals: Three Years in Review.”
The annual Paper of the Year award for each of ACSM’s journals recognizes the demonstrated scientific and scholarly excellence of an article published during the previous year. The selection for this award, now in its third year, was made by the editor-in-chief of each journal, who received nominations from the associate editors of said journal. The associate editors were instructed to consider the following criteria when making nominations: article impact, research significance, conceptual design and/or technical innovation.
The 2021 Paper of the Year selections for each of the journals are:
- ACSM’s Health & Fitness Journal®: “Fitness Watches and Nutrition Apps: Behavioral Benefits and Emerging Concerns” by authors Jennifer L. Scheid, Ph.D., and Shannon P. Lupien, Ph.D. Published in the March/April 2021 issue.
- Current Sports Medicine Reports: “Clinical Practice Guidelines for Exertional Rhabdomyolysis: A Military Medicine Perspective” by authors Nathaniel S. Nye, M.D.; Korey Kasper, M.D.; Clifford Marc Madsen, D.O.; Michelle Szczepanik, M.D.; Carlton J. Covey, M.D.; Robert Oh, M.D.; Shawn Kane, M.D., FACSM; Anthony I. Beutler, M.D.; Jeffrey C. Leggit, M.D.; Patricia A. Deuster, Ph.D., MPH, FACSM; Francis G. O’Connor, M.D., MPH, FACSM. Published in the March 2021 issue.
- Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews: “Strength Training: In Search of Optimal Strategies to Maximize Neuromuscular Performance” by authors Jacques Duchateau, Ph.D.; Séverine Stragier, Ph.D.; Stéphane Baudry, Ph.D.; and Alain Carpentier, Ph.D. Published in the January 2021 issue.
- Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise®: “Daily Step Count and Postprandial Fat Metabolism” by authors Heath M. Burton, Ph.D., and Edward F. Coyle, Ph.D., FACSM. Published in the February 2021 issue.
- Translational Journal of the American College of Sports Medicine: “Metabolic and Cardiovascular Responses to a Simulated Commute on an E-Bike” by authors Helaine M. Alessio, Ph.D., FACSM; Timothy Reiman; Brett Kemper; Winston von Carlowitz, B.S.; A. John Bailer, Ph.D.; and Kyle L. Timmerman, Ph.D., FACSM. Published in the spring 2021 compendium.
The ACSM Publications Committee established an annual Paper of the Year award in 2020 for each of ACSM’s journals to recognize the demonstrated excellence in scientific and scholarly articles published during the previous year. With five leading scholarly journals, ACSM offers access to cutting-edge research, translational science, relevant clinical reports and evidence-informed practical content for researchers, students, clinicians, those working to improve health outcomes, and health and fitness professionals. For more information click here