Focusing on physician residents and fellows, the ACSM Emerging Physician Leaders Pilot Program promotes early, meaningful association with the college and a clear path toward ACSM fellowship.
"ACSM’s new Emerging Physician Leaders Program engages young doctors early - during their training years - to excite, develop and mentor future sports medicine leaders! Understanding the responsibilities and expected outcomes of focused leadership through direct committee service enhances the training experience and builds long-term friendships, while improving lives through sports and exercise medicine." - Angela Smith, M.D., FACSM, ACSM past president (2001-2002)
If accepted, the applicant will:
- Be appointed to an ACSM committee as a participating guest
- Matched with an ACSM Fellow member who will serve as their mentor throughout the three-year program.
- Receive complimentary ACSM membership for one year
- Receive paid registration to ACSM’s 2022 Annual Meeting (in person or virtual) for the same year. (The participant (or their institution) must pay for membership and meeting registration themselves for the next two years [2023, 2024).]
Physician residents and those in fellowship programs, both current ACSM members and non-members are encouraged to apply.
To apply, the applicant must:
- Submit a completed application and CV.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from their program director.
- Submit a 200 word essay on "why you believe you are appropriate for this program and why you would like to participate."
- Agree to serve on an ACSM committee for a three-year term and adhere to the following requirements:
- Review all relevant material before committee meetings,
- Attend committee meetings and voice objective opinions on relevant issues,
- Be aware of association activities that affect or are affected by the committee’s work,
- Support the efforts of the committee chair, carrying out individual assignments made by the chair, and
- Work as part of the committee and staff team to ensure that the committee’s work and recommendations are aligned with ACSM’s True North Fundamentals and Strategic Priorities.