The Honor & Citation Awards are two of ACSM's most prestigious awards. Both awards recognize individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the fields of sports medicine and/or exercise science, and award winners are recognized at the ACSM Annual Meeting.
View past Honor Award recipients
View past Citation Award recipients
Definition of the Honor & Citation Awards
- The Honor Award of the American College of Sports Medicine is granted to an individual with a distinguished career of outstanding scientific and scholarly contributions to sports medicine and/or the exercise sciences. The contributions may be in the basic, applied, and/or clinical sciences; allied health and/or education. ACSM membership is not a requirement for this award.
- The Citation Award of the American College of Sports Medicine is granted to an individual or group who has made significant and important contributions to sports medicine and/or the exercise sciences. These contributions may include, but are not limited to, research and scholarship; clinical care; and/or administrative or educational services in sports medicine or exercise science. ACSM membership is not a requirement for this award.
Nomination Process for the Honor & Citation Awards
The nominator must provide the following in the nomination package:
- The nomination form with the requested information.
- A letter of nomination in which the nominator presents a compelling case. The letter should include pertinent information regarding the nominee’s contributions to sports medicine, exercise science, literature, education, ACSM, other organizations and the community. Other letters of support can be included but are not required. (maximum of 3 support letters, and only 3 will be forwarded to the review team with the nomination packets)
- Once the nomination is received in the National Office, staff will contact the nominee for his/her current curriculum vitae (CV). (The CV must be received in the National Office by a designated deadline to be considered for the award.)
Nominations are due on April 15 for the following year's awards.
UPDATE: 2020 Awardees will be recognized at the 2021 ACSM Annual Meeting, June 1-5. Any new nominations will be considered in 2021 and those successful nominees will be awarded in 2022 at the 2022 ACSM Annual Meeting.
NOTE: The review process goes through early fall. After that time, recipients of the awards will be notified with a copy to the nominator. Notifications will go out at this time to nominators whose nominee was not selected. Please be advised that it typically takes more than one attempt for a nominee to get selected. We encourage nominators to continue to nominate their nominee.